Going forward, Louis Marx, a long tenured IFPA Tournament Director, will be conducting an interview series for the IFPA website intended at sharing the stories of tournament directors in the United States. The intent is to continue this series quarterly although that could change as needed. Biographically, Louis is married with four children, part of the ownership group at BOS Pinball, and runs the DFW Pinball League out of Dallas. If you are interested in telling your story or you have suggestions for questions that you’d like included in the interviews, you can reach out to Louis on Facebook, at LMA574 on Pinside, or through the IFPA.
These latest changes will be incorporated into WPPR v5.5 which will be implemented starting January 1, 2019.
Please note that for all 2018 IFPA related activities (qualifying for 2018-19 NACS, 2018-19 ECS, IFPA16, etc), version 5.4 will be used for that qualification process.
Below is an overview of changes for the updated 2019 formula:
- TGP Guide has been updated for Strikes events. Fair Strikes and Progressive Strikes have been added. Standard strike knockout events have been updated to more accurately reflect the meaningful number of games played. This updated grading will NOT be retroactively calculated for events prior to 1/1/19.
- Flip Frenzy formats, also referred to as Pinball! Pinball! Pinball! format will graded based on the AVERAGE number of matches played by all players in the field. The IFPA recommends using MatchPlay Events software for this format. The software automatically calculates this average for IFPA submission purposes. This updated grading will NOT be retroactively calculated for events prior to 1/1/19.
- Official IFPA Championship Series Finals will now receive a 25% boost to the WPPR points awarded. This includes the IFPA North American Championship, IFPA European Pinball Championship along with the countries that have officially registered IFPA Country Championships. This updated grading will be retroactively calculated.
For full detailed information on the 2019 TGP Guide, click HERE. Any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com. Please check back when we announce that WPPR v5.5 has been implemented for 2019 as the details may always change prior to launch.
The IFPA Companion app offers a mobile-friendly display of much of the data found on the IFPA website. See tournament results and player versus player records, as well as quickly view the top of the WPPR rankings. The app gives you the ability to view upcoming tournaments quickly from the IFPA calendar based on your mobile device’s location, and add tournaments to your local calendar. The app can be configured to alert you when your IFPA Rank changes or tournament results are posted in which you participated.
For questions and feedback, follow the conversation on Tilt Forums (http://tiltforums.com/t/ifpa-app-now-available-on-the-app-store/4543) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The IFPA is excited to announce that the dates have been set for the 16th annual IFPA World Pinball Championship. IFPA16 will be held June 7-9, 2019, with the 6th edition of the Epstein Cup scheduled for Thursday, June 6th, 2019.
Our host will be Double Pinball in Assago (Milan).
We will continue to update details on the event HERE.
The following games are now available under the program: Batman 66 Premium, Deadpool Pro, Deadpool Premium, Iron Maiden Pro, Iron Maiden Premium, Ghostbusters Pro, Ghostbusters Premium, Guardians of the Galaxy Pro, Guardians of the Galaxy Premium, Metallica Pro, Star Trek Vault Pro, Star Trek Vault Premium, Star Wars Pro, Star Wars Premium.
Detailed rules for the $tern Rewards Program, including an updated list of qualifiers, and updated list of rewards available can be found HERE.
Pin Stadium, based out of Cincinnati, Ohio, and IFPA located in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, are excited to announce that they are working together to help to grow the already rapidly expanding community of pinball worldwide. Josh Sharpe (the President of the IFPA and also top ranked player) reached out to Pin Stadium for sponsor and partnership for their amazing organizations, which hosts over 4600 events worldwide. These numbers are astounding and Josh and a large group of supporters have done an out-of-this-world job to make this happen.
This was a huge opportunity for Pin Stadium to be able to assist this incredible organization and to help bring improved visibility to the playfields for the IFPA players.
With the technology and performance of our lighting systems they will now provide 100% playfield lighting coverage for potentially thousands of players worldwide. This will help to assist them with improved shot accuracy, and as a result, better scores. Ball tracking is the most important aspect of competitive pinball, and so are high scores. No longer are the pinball machines going to struggle with lighting.
With the Pin Stadiums being successfully introduced officially to the competitive market in 2018 at PAPA’s Pinburgh for the “Final Twelve”, where Doug (the head of PAPA) said that he received very positive feedback from the players and also from the viewers of the stream. From that event, Pin Stadiumreceived the honor of being “PAPA Approved”
With that said, it only makes sense for us to work with IFPA, who continues a long standing tradition of tournaments which fuel the industry of pinball. The vision we have with IFPA is to not only support them financially but to also offer special discount programs for tournament organizers to be able to elevate the experience for their players and the viewers of their streamed events, while also providing prize giveaways and gift cards to add to the prize pools at certain events.
The future is bright with Pin Stadium and IFPA. “See Better, Play Better.” It’s that simple. Here is what Josh Sharpe had to say about this partnership:
“We couldn’t be more excited to partner with Pin Stadium on enhancing not only the playing experience for participants, but also the viewing experience for people that are finding the sport through the ever growing streaming of events all around the world. We look forward to connecting our pool of players, tournament directors and tournament streamers with Pin Stadium for the betterment of the sport going forward.” – Josh Sharpe, IFPA President
The Stern of the Union Address will be on the first Tuesday of every month (holiday and vacation excepted). To read the full recap, please visit –http://www.sternpinball.com/…/stern-of-the-union-address-no…
Here are a few highlights:
– Ladies and gentlemen……The Beatles! To be one of the first to check out The Beatles pinball in person, make sure to stop by the Stern booth (#2013) at the IAAPA tradeshow taking place in Orlando next week.
– The Stern Army continues to grow with members spreading the word of pinball across the globe. Welcome Private Christopher Doyle of Texas (What’s Brewing? Coffee Roasters), Private Michael Costalos of Adelaide, South Australia (Australian Pinball Museum), Private Drew Mulkey of Oregon (QuarterWorld Portland), Private Paul Michell of Adelaide, South Australia (Amusement Worx Australia), and Private Ryan Cazz of Australia (@Pinball ParadisePinball Paradise)
Congratulations to the following Stern Army members on their promotion from Private to Private First Class:
– Private First Class Bryan Broyles of Georgia (Portal Pinball Arcade), Private First Class Alex Harmon of Michigan (Blind Squirrel Tavern), Private First Class Brian Bannon of Missouri (Padavan’s NY Restaurant), Private First Class Marcus Trevino of Texas (Versus Gameplay, Nickelrama Arcade, and BOS Pinball Lounge)
For more information and to join the Stern Army, please reach out to SternArmy@sternpinball.com
– Only 2 months left in the official Stern Army Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast Tournament. Can you slay the beast? https://www.ifpapinball.com/maiden/
– Congrats to Adam Lefkoff for winning the Pinball Expo Flip Out Tournament, Eric Stone for winning the Pittsburgh Pinball Open, Johan Genberg for winning the Danish Pinball Open and Bowen Kerins for winning the 24 Hour Final Battle at the Sanctum Stern Pro Circuit events! The next Stern Pro Circuit events will be the Free Play Florida pinball tournament (November 9-11), OBX Flippers Fall Tournament (November 16-18), and San Francisco City Champ (December 15-16).
With only 3 events left on the 2018 Stern Pro Circuit calendar, who will be the 40 finalists competing in the Stern Pro Circuit Final next March? For full details on the Stern Pro Circuit and to keep up with the current standings, please visit – https://www.ifpapinball.com/circuit/
– This month’s Stern Spotlight featuring Reyna Cortes!
While it wasn’t a Pinburgh style 45-second sellout, we’re excited to see that all 72 spots for the 2019 IFPA Pin-Masters have been claimed in just over a week. For details on the event, which will be taking place March 29-31, 2019 in Las Vegas, click HERE.
For anyone interested in getting on the waiting list, please email us directly at email@example.com. We’ll keep a live list of the alternates on the Participants page – available HERE.
We’ve received some feedback from both youth players and parents about the ability for these youth players to utilize their World Youth Ranking as a resource to help them stand out on their college applications. With that application process taking place after that player turned 16, they haven’t been able to reference their place on the Youth ranking system.
We’ve decided that effective immediately we’re expanding these Youth standings to include all players under the age of 18. We’re excited about being able to offer this opportunity for all of the youth players to use this as a resource if they so choose.
The Stern of the Union Address will be on the first Tuesday of every month (holiday and vacation pending!). To read the full recap, please visit – http://www.sternpinball.com/…/stern-of-the-union-address-oc…
Here are a few highlights:
– 34th Pinball Expo which can only mean an official Stern Pro Circuit event, official Stern Factory tour, lots of seminars and the Stern-O-Rama party! Free beer and DJ courtesy of Logan Arcade, IFPA – International Flipper Pinball Association Deadpool pinball tournament with a chance to meet the entire design team, all hosted by none other than Dead Flip : Pinball Streaming Jack Danger!
– The Stern Army continues to grow with members spreading the word of pinball across the globe. Welcome Private Katie Schowengerdt of Missouri (Two Plumbers Brewery + Arcade), Private Mike Lund of Utah (Kiito’s Brewery and Quarters Arcade Bar), Private EJ Osis of Michigan (Offworld Arcade) and Private Evan Williams of Michigan (Pinball Pete’s).
Congratulations to the following Stern Army members on their promotion from Private to Private First Class. Private First Class Neil Shelton of Colorado (Wonderland Brewing Company), Private First Class Brian Dye of West Virginia (Fallout Shelter), and Private First Class Josh Noble of Missouri (Silverball)
For more information or to become a part of the Stern Army, please reach out to SternArmy@sternpinball.com
– Stern Army Iron Maiden Legacy of the Beast Tournament! Stern Pinball, Iron Maiden and the International Flipper Pinball Association are teaming up to sponsor a Stern Army High-Score Tournament on Iron Maiden Pro, Premium and LE pinball machines. Players can enter by participating in any IFPA-sanctioned Stern Army events that include Iron Maiden in the tournament. For full details on this exciting tournament visit – https://www.ifpapinball.com/maiden/
– Congrats to Keith Elwin for winning the Cleveland Pinball & Arcade Show and to Raymond Davidson for winning the Vancouver Flipout Stern Pro Circuit events! The next Stern Pro Circuit events will be the Pinball Expo Flip Out Tournament (October 18-21), Pittsburgh Pinball Open 9Pittsburgh Pinball Open (October 25-28), the Danish Pinball Open 2018 -Stern Pro Circuit (October 27-28), and the 24 Hour Final Battle at the Sanctum (November 3-4).
With only 7 events left on the 2018 Stern Pro Circuit calendar, who will be the 40 finalists competing in the Stern Pro Circuit final next March? For full details on the Stern Pro Circuit and to keep up with the current standings, please visit – https://www.ifpapinball.com/circuit/
– This month’s Stern Spotlight featuring Carson Gunby!